POSITION SUMMARY: The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the financial management of all Sioux Valley Dakota Nation Programs and businesses, reporting primarily to the SVDN Chief and Council. Supervision of all Finance Officers and Clerks ensuring efficient operations to maintaining a balanced budget and unqualified annual audits.
- Reporting primarily to the SVDN Chief and Council
- Working with the SVDN Chief and Council with other professional advisors and auditors that are designated and authorized in writing by the SVDN Chief and Council
- Advocating on behalf of, in favour of, and in defence of SVDN with the Department of Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
- Assisting SVDN in training and developing its personnel towards becoming self-supporting in the Financial Dept., and in training staff on their duties according to program requirements, budgets, financial statements, bank reconciliations, monthly financial updates to Chief and Council and quarterly to funding agencies
- Ensuring SVDN Chief and Council and administrative staff are working towards ensuring SVDN is not subject to any intervening strategies proposed or developed by ISC, and to making the necessary financial adjustments where needed to achieve intervention-free status.
- Ensuring the proper financial management of SVDN’s activities is being recorded on a daily basis including all financial transactions and completing month-end reconciliations of various accounts.
- Preparing regular periodic quarterly reports of the financial status of SVDN to Chief and Council in accordance with the Sioux Valley Dakota Oyate Constitution of the People.
- Ensuring the timely and accurate preparation of monthly financial statements including actual and budgeted revenues/expenditures along with budget variances.
- Reviewing monthly financial statements with SVDN Chief and Council, providing recommendations as required.
- Preparing quarterly reports to Chief and Council containing both financial statements and narrative descriptions of the financial progress for reporting to the membership.
- Ensuring that the terms of all Financial Agreements with ISC and other funders are adhered to.
- Establishing appropriate expenditure monitoring processes for all SVDN Programs/Businesses.
- Ensuring training is provided for SVDN financial and senior staff to understand and undertake their responsibilities for timely and accurate recording, reconciliation, and reporting of all SVDN financial transactions leading to the preparation of monthly financial reports to SVDN Chief and Council.
- Must adhere to all Personnel Policies, Constitution of SVDN, and Financial Management Policies/Laws.
- Must recognize that materials and information made available in the performance of duties shall be of a confidential nature and that is the sole and exclusive property of SVDN, an shall exercise utmost diligence to protect and maintain the confidentiality of the Confidential Information.
- Business Administration Diploma/Degree with specialization in Accounting
- Minimum 5 years in a Senior Management position
- Must be knowledgeable of ISC reporting and funding arrangements
- Clear Criminal Record (Current Checks or proof of application for checks must be submitted with Application).
- Knowledge of community cultural customs, traditions and language would be an asset
- Computer Skill required; working knowledge of MS Office software/ACCPAC Accounting Software
- Valid Drivers License & access to a vehicle
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY MARCH 27, 2020 12:00PM
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO: HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
SIOUX VALLEY DAKOTA NATION
P.O. BOX 38
GRISWOLD, MANITOBA R0M 0S0
PH: 204-855-2760 FAX: 204-855-2131