To: Sioux Valley Dakota Nation Residents
From: Water Technician Office and Climate Change & Environmental Projects
As you are probably aware, due to the current extreme drought conditions affecting Manitoba, we would like to recommend some water conservation efforts. Water shortage could be a very serious issue for all Sioux valley residents. We could all practice a few conservation tips to help conserve water in the long run.
Here are some of the tips we could practise to conserve water:
- When filling aquariums, pools or watering plants and livestock please use the community wells located near counsellor Eleanor Elk’s house and Dakota Oyate Lodge. Public works might assist in water transportation (call Public Works).
- Use less water – limit the use of sprinklers, slip n’ slides, etc. avoid watering your lawns during this time.
- Check your house for leaky or dripping faucets.
- Check for running toilets.
- Check for any leaking pipes throughout your home.
- When using the washing machine or dishwasher, do a full load.
- Generally, showers use much less water, take shorter showers as well.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing teeth or while washing dishes (rinse last).
- Put a bucket in the sink/shower to capture excess water (for example, when you need very hot or very cold water and need the taps to run for a bit, collect and use that for watering house plants, garden plants or use for cooking and/or cleaning).
- You can also use water from boiling eggs, pasta, or vegetables to water your house plants or garden plants (once its cooled down) this has the added benefit of providing extra nutrients to your plants!
Let’s all do our part to conserve our beautiful water for us and our families for years to come.
If you find any leaks or maintenance issues, please contact the Housing Department (204-855-3280) or a plumber. For water sampling or testing or water related issues and questions please phone the Health Centre (204-855-2690) to speak to the Water Technician Office.
Thank you so much for your understanding in this.