Monday December 20, 2021
To Sioux Valley Dakota Nation community members,
Following the provincial announcements Friday December 17, 2021, we felt that it was important to provide an update to all community members with children ages 5-11.
Manitoba is increasing its rapid test kit supply to provide free voluntary rapid antigen tests for students in Kindergarten to Grade 6 or age 5-11. MB health are utilizing the school systems for distribution to take the work load of all health care systems into consideration across the province.
• Distribution will begin with First Nations communities and expand to other school divisions and schools as additional supply is received. So our provincial school system neighbors will also be getting this opportunity. Sioux Valley Education has now received our supply for students age 5-11. A total of 170 kits have been received. Each kit contains 5 rapid tests.
• Rapid antigen testing for students is an additional preventative measure to reduce the risk of COVID-19 spreading. Early detection is best practice. For students who take part, it is recommended that students conduct one test every 3-4 days beginning the day they receive their test kit and continuing until all five tests have been used.
• This is particularly important for our younger students who have just become eligible for vaccinations and /or many in this age group, who have not had the vaccination as of yet.
• Guidance for parents and caregivers will be available to support the administration of the tests at home. The guide will explain how to use the test and what to do with a positive result. See the handout provided.
• The test kits will be sent home for all students on Wednesday December 22, 2021. A “how to use” information poster will be included. If you are not going to be have your child in on this day you can call the school to pick up on December 21st. If you most comfortable picking up in person on Tuesday or Wednesday, please let us know. Schools are closed for Christmas holidays after the 22nd.
We understand some families may not want one so please call the school at 204 855 2536 if you chose to opt out of getting this kit. We feel the time crunch and want to roll these out to families before the Christmas Break. Remember this is voluntarily done and is a strategy to help prevent spreading of Covid-19.
Sioux Valley Education Administration